Author Message

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Ice Hockey (NHL 11/12) + Local

Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Guest
I got into Ice Hockey in a big way this year with the arrival of ESPN America in our living room and no doubt it's going to take over my life again. With so many games on every day and the repeats during the day, there's no chance of getting bored.

Not up to speed much on the local teams around NI but been told Dundonald has some cracking local matches and cheap enough into. Never been to a Giants game so that's on the list once their season kicks off on the 3rd September.

NHL wise, I can't get enough of it. Still haven't settled on a team to follow and support..torn between Capitals, Ducks, Red Wings and the Tampa Lightning! All of them just have such exciting players to watch!

Any fans?
beansboy
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jul 2011 Posts: 206
never really got into it, but th red wings are good
View user's profile Send private message
mower liberation front
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1558 Location: Somewhere Out In Space
Rangers fan here. Not expecting much, as usual. One Stanley Cup win in 70 years, and with the Dolans still in charge, can't see much changing. Sad
View user's profile Send private message
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Guest
Only caught the one Rangers game last season, some serious punch ups tho!
ragnarok
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1781 Location: Belfast
Kungfu Jesus wrote:
I got into Ice Hockey in a big way this year with the arrival of ESPN America in our living room and no doubt it's going to take over my life again. With so many games on every day and the repeats during the day, there's no chance of getting bored.

Not up to speed much on the local teams around NI but been told Dundonald has some cracking local matches and cheap enough into. Never been to a Giants game so that's on the list once their season kicks off on the 3rd September.

NHL wise, I can't get enough of it. Still haven't settled on a team to follow and support..torn between Capitals, Ducks, Red Wings and the Tampa Lightning! All of them just have such exciting players to watch!

Any fans?


Red Wings fan here also used to play a bit when I was younger.

First things: The standard of hockey in the EIHL (the league the Giants play in) is terrible.. I haven't been in a few seasons and can't see me heading back anytime soon. Gone are the days of 7,000 crowds every game (I hear they get about 1500 these days) or former NHL players, it's pretty tame in my opinion..

To put it into perspective, I work for a US based company who have offices in Montreal.. Last year when I was over I played a game with the lads from the Montreal office.. I can honestly say that had the Giants been on the ice against our team comprised entirely of Quebecois software engineers they'd have had their asses handed to them.. I couldn't pay to watch that Sad

Regarding the NHL.. If you haven't picked a team yet I'd say go for Les Habitants / Habs / Montreal Canadiens.. You won't see a more passionate team or fan base in any sport anywhere in the world... They've got a great pedigree, are always a decent team who are there or thereabouts by the time the playoffs come around but aren't run away champions like Barcelona would be in football.. Definitely have a soft spot for that team but will always be a Wing. They're a great team to follow.
View user's profile Send private message
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Guest
You ever hit any of the local club games man? Any worth?
jedifart
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 7987 Location: The Great Pit of Carkoon
I went to my first ice hockey game last December. San Jose Sharks v Montréal Canadiens. Good craic but I don't know the rules well enough to be able to enjoy it properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dawals
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2006 Posts: 5199 Location: Dublin
jedifart wrote:
I went to my first ice hockey game last December. San Jose Sharks v Montréal Canadiens. Good craic but I don't know the rules well enough to be able to enjoy it properly.


Were there any pile-ups?
View user's profile Send private message
Kungfu Jesus
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Guest
jedifart wrote:
I went to my first ice hockey game last December. San Jose Sharks v Montréal Canadiens. Good craic but I don't know the rules well enough to be able to enjoy it properly.


Do a quick google and watch a few clips online Farticus, that's how I got my head around. It's so friggin quick that half the time I'm listening to the commentator and waiting on the slo-mo to tell me who did what!
forevertwisted
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 586
Got given a ticket for the giants 2/3 years ago as a birthday present, went along not really knowing much about it thinkin a few pints and it would be a bit of craic but the playing was absolutely woeful plus there wasn't even a scrap Laughing Not a big pile at it either apart from the die-hards
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ragnarok
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1781 Location: Belfast
Kungfu Jesus wrote:
You ever hit any of the local club games man? Any worth?


Can't say I have in a very long time mate but the ice hockey scene here is very tight knit so I have a fair idea who you would expect to see at the games both on the ice and off it..

Given the fact that there is ONE rink in Northern Ireland where hockey is played and based on how it used to be if you have the kit and show up, you'll probably get a game. I can't see the standard being anything other that terrible to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message
DaveG
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jun 2005 Posts: 1263
Hockey has the same problem as Basketball and Big Kids Rounders for me - too many games in a season so it's really hard to invest in any one game. NFL is different - 16 games and they're all vital.
View user's profile Send private message
Stephen Ireland
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Apr 2009 Posts: 341 Location: Starting 11, Aston Villa FC, Birmingham, England.
Ice Hockey is a game I never could get into. It's all 'Fast, fast, fast!', there aren't any dynamics to the game at all. Not saying the players aren't skilled or anything, obviously they are, but the game itself just leaves a lot to be desired compared to football or rugby.
View user's profile Send private message
ragnarok
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1781 Location: Belfast
Stephen Ireland wrote:
Ice Hockey is a game I never could get into. It's all 'Fast, fast, fast!', there aren't any dynamics to the game at all.


This isn't true, but I can understand why you would come to that conclusion.. It's a tough game to follow until you know it inside out.

Dave makes a point though.. NFL is more my scene these days.
View user's profile Send private message
mower liberation front
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 1558 Location: Somewhere Out In Space
DaveG wrote:
Hockey has the same problem as Basketball and Big Kids Rounders for me - too many games in a season so it's really hard to invest in any one game. NFL is different - 16 games and they're all vital.


It also doesn't help that after the 82 games in the season, more than half the teams make it into the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  

Post new topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum