Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  The Years of '86-'94:Greatest years in the History of Metal?

huez2000
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
A bold statement but let me explain. Everytime I go to my music collection it seems to be albums from this era I tend to go for. Now obviously I have a certain bias as these happen also to be my formative years, when I soaked up everything metal related, but it just seems that there were so many classic albums produced during this time in metal (and rock to a degree). Far, far too many to list (but I'm working on it). And obviously, it is only with hindsight and a fine dallop of nostalgia that I've come to this conclusion.

This era witnessed the pinnacle of thrash ('86 - whenever you wanna say it died!), the birth of death metal and the birth of black metal (2nd wave, if we wanna be picky). Younger people (or older!) may disagree (and please do) but to my mind so many albums from this time have stood the test of time. Now obviously metal is only 40 years old-ish compared to other genre's of music, so there's not as long of a timescale to compare it to, but for me these 8 years were indeed golden. Cool
Juggz
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 1336 Location: Under A Lesbian Moon
Actually, it's 93, not 94 Wink
Brox
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Nov 2009 Posts: 1244 Location: Lisburn....N.Ireland
I would go back 5 or 6 years earlier,but i' m probably older than you.
PatrickReborn
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
86 would be a cut off point that would ignore some of the albums that I would consider absolute greats. Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast, Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, Blizzard of Oz, Screaming for Vengeance, British Steel... that's only to name a few. I suppose it depends what you're into. If you're not a big fan of NWOBHM then perhaps you wouldn't count the early 80s as a glorious period.
Dark Stranger
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 14962 Location: Holding a fiery stride
Whereas I would count 81-84 as the pinnacle! 1984 in particular stands out for me as the greatest year in metal.
Tiberius Nyarlethotep
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
aye.not to have screaming for vengeance or defenders of the faith amongst the greats wouldnt be ermmmm...great?
Invictus
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Mar 2007 Posts: 8457 Location: Into The Void Records
Despite many of my favourite albums coming from the late 80s and early 90s, I think the period between 80, 81 and 86 is such a glorious period due to the motivation behind a lot of bands being very pure and honest. Whether it's Metallica, Slayer, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Bathory, Hellhammer, Exodus, Coroner or whoever, the music was from a genuine place and not directed by sales figures, popularity or commercialization of the music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DesTheKingOfTawny
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
1980 until the Grunge explosion
matty_the_emo_slayer
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
81-86 is definitely the greatest in my book, then maybe 89-93 again for all Death Metal and second wave Black Metal stuff. I wouldn't go as far as 94 though, too many bands starting to go downhill, and Nu/Bro Metal starting to creep in. Basically all good Metal was either recorded before 1993, or sounds like it was.
huez2000
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Juggz wrote:
Actually, it's 93, not 94 Wink

A fair point indeed, and I was reluctant about going as far as '94, but then I started looking at some personal fav albums of mine that I play to death from that year like Transylvanian Hunger, Divine Intervention, Far Beyond Driven, World Demise, Jar of Flies, The Bleeding, In the Nightside Eclipse, Pentagram, For All Tid, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Non Serviam, The Shadowthrone, Tales for the Thousand Lakes, Burn My Eyes, Youthanasia and even a bit of COC's Deliverance and the still great 'the downward spiral' if I'm pushing it, and just decided that it would stretch to '94. But ye, point taken.
Invictus
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Mar 2007 Posts: 8457 Location: Into The Void Records
huez2000 wrote:
Far Beyond Driven, World Demise, Jar of Flies, The Bleeding, Burn My Eyes, Youthanasia and even a bit of COC's Deliverance

These are all a part of "where it all started to go very, very wrong!" for me! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
huez2000
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Invictus wrote:
huez2000 wrote:
Far Beyond Driven, World Demise, Jar of Flies, The Bleeding, Burn My Eyes, Youthanasia and even a bit of COC's Deliverance

These are all a part of "where it all started to go very, very wrong!" for me! Laughing

Ill try not to get angry with you!! Laughing
Mazzy Maz
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Sep 2008 Posts: 1661 Location: http://bit.ly/QahY0C
Yeah, tis '86 to '93 for me too, though of course it all depends on your taste and age.

During that period you've Reign In Blood as well as the best of the US and Swedish DM plus Sepultura peaking with Beneath The Remains.

Then towards the tailend of that period, you've the best of the commercially successful aggressive stuff by the likes of Pantera and Machine Head. Oh and Chaos AD, I still love that too. Of course if I was a few years older, I'd probably hate that stuff, but there you have it.
BobbyTheBuzz
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I got into metal around 1994 when i was 13 and as far as im concerned it went to shit from around '96 on. there was some good bands going but seriously fell off after 1994/1995....

Early 90's was just killer. mainly for death metal and hardcore which im mostly into.

started to get a bit better for me around 2000/2001.
wiseblood
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I think it was great even up to '96 to be honest.
Bands like Paradise Lost, Type O Negative, COC, Pantera, Life Of Agony, Fear Factory and the likes were still very much on form up to that point. It's all been a bit shit since then though I reckon.