<  Music Gear  ~  Fixing Chips on a guitar

Bonelessbread
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought a guitar and it had a few chips taken out of the paint. I would like to fix these. I was wondering what would be the best way of fixing them. What types of paints should I use and anything else would be helpful Very Happy
demeyes
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
If it's a scratch you can get the same stuff you use on car paint to try and fix it. If it's deeper and into the wood then you can try and find nail polish that is the same colour and use that, or else get marker and fill in the wood and go over it with clear nail varnish. This won't yield perfect results but it'll cover up some unsightly blemishes on the guitar.
Incarnadine86
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 606 Location: http://soundcloud.com/lukegeoghegan1
Strangely enough if the guitar was second hand I'd love for it to have a few chips, make it feel like its been around the musical block, brand spanking new I'd want it to look that way....until I start hitting it off things by accident!

Thats what you want some day in the end...
spoderman01
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
demeyes wrote:
If it's a scratch you can get the same stuff you use on car paint to try and fix it. If it's deeper and into the wood then you can try and find nail polish that is the same colour and use that, or else get marker and fill in the wood and go over it with clear nail varnish. This won't yield perfect results but it'll cover up some unsightly blemishes on the guitar.

Had to resort to this with some decent sized chips on one of my V's. Bit of black nail varnish and you'd barely notice them anymore. Not ideal what can ya do? Luckily herself had black in stock Laughing
circus
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
My mate used to do this for a living, he used special aircraft assembly glue/resin - overfilled the chip/ding and then buffed it flush.

Transparent and 99% invis.