Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

<  The Irish Metal Forum  ~  Patrick Walker is not a happy camper

JonK
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was recently brought to my attention by a Warning fan that my 2006 album, Watching from a Distance, was being reissued on vinyl. 'Would I be receiving any copies?' he asked, 'and would I have any for sale?'

I felt rather embarrassed to say the least as this was certainly the first I had heard of it. After a brief online search I came across the website of Kreation Records in America advertising pre-sales of a vinyl reissue of the album.

I immediately telephoned the label and asked who the record was licensed from and what the deal was; to my knowledge Cyclone Empire had exclusive rights to the album.

It transpired that Cyclone Empire had been licensed the album for CD release only. Miskatonic Foundation had licensed the record to Kreation for a vinyl reissue (the first vinyl release was the attractive but hard-to-find Metal Supremacy release in 2008).

I was angry and upset that this record has been reissued without my band's knowledge and consent, without our involvement in its conception and design, and that no offer has been made to us to participate in the profit of this release.

This morning I received a shipment of the reissued album from Kreation Records (our share of the deal, apparently) and I was heartbroken and utterly deflated. Everything from the bastardised cover art, badly photoshopped and redesigned text layout, bad quality packaging and even a new "thanks list" penned by The Miskatonic Foundation is reason enough for me to ask you that if you care about Warning and its music then to consider this statement before investing.

While it is not in my nature to vent publically, I feel I have no choice now other than to offer an explanation and an apology of sorts for the poor-quality release which, regrettably, bears the name of me and my band.

I was hoping to one day produce an "official" vinyl reissue of this album that we could be proud of. We have a small handful of bonus materials that Id like to have been used, and would like to have overseen the release from its conception right through to the finished article.

The bottom line is, I want it to be known that Kreation Records' reissue of Watching from a Distance is, as far as I am concerned, unofficial, does not reflect myself or Warning and is not something that we are profiteering from in any way. The shipment of records I received this morning are going to be returned.

Thank you for reading.

Patrick Walker

http://www.40wattsun.com/

Seems like a pretty strange state of affairs and very unfortunate if the 2xLP is as bad looking as he said, especially considering that it's y'know, his masterwork. Anyone here order this re-issue by any chance?

Last edited by JonK on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eoin McLove
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 15482 Location: In the village by the hangman's bay.
Bad buzz. I have the original DLP so I'm happy (smug) enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Corrupted
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Warning fan, but that's bound to be a real kick in the balls for someone who gives a shit about quality. Kreation Records is an abortion of a label. I don't know exactly how I realised this years ago, but I swore I'd never put one of their lps into my collection.

I wonder how much a label gets for licensing a release to another label?
BoobC
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty bad for The Miskatonic Foundation.
ResidentOfBok
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I bought some LPs and a shirt from Kreation a few years back - didn't have any issue with the order. Are they quite poorly regarded?

I luckily have the Metal Supremacy vinyl myself, scooped for a pittance from a certain forumite. Very Happy
Sentinel Records
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the Kreation stuff being that bad.. especially compared to some Back on Black stuff that was out at the same time... been a good few years since I stocked their stuff though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nekroculchie
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The Valkyrie s/t LP is the only one I can think of that I have and I think it's grand. Maybe they went shit after that?
I'd like to hear Miskatonic's side of the story as this seems very odd.
Warfare Noise
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me, I've to send Squigz 'Whinging From A Distance'. I might listen to it again for the third or so time before I do, I remember the lyrics being reminiscent of the feelings I had for the original pink power ranger when I was 9 or 10.
Miotal Trom
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jun 2005 Posts: 2740 Location: Massacre on the Frontline
On that note, I thought the thread title was simply a sombre reflection on Pat's subject matter for his songwriting, which is brilliant by the way.

On topic though, it seems like abysmal form on the behalf of the licensing label.
dawals
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ssshhh
ISEN TORR
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Nekroculchie wrote:

I'd like to hear Miskatonic's side of the story as this seems very odd.

There's no "Side". He's known about it for ages the fucking prat.

It might have helped if he hadn't done a runner down to Cornwall, and acted like a total arrogant prick.

Lets just say, that Miskatonic hasn't existed for over a year now as an ongoing concern, he gets his 50% share of everything licensed, which is 35 % more of what he'd get from any "Metal" label, and he doesn't pay Stu or Marcus a penny, and they haven't seen anything ever to my knowledge. His sales statements support this fact. He's seen more money than anyone, and as I financed both albums recording, pressing, and designed the artworks for him, I am entitled to recoup my losses when and where I see fit unless he opts to buy out.

Make no mistake, I lost 4000 on "The strength to dream" originally, and the original 1000 pressing of "Watching" barely broke even on the amount of money spent on studio time and pressing three different versions

If he doesn't like it, he needs to take it up with Kreation, personally the releases I've seen have been fine, which was why they were granted a license, and Kreation need to sort it out for him. And if anyone can see me driving around in a fucking Rolls Royce, from the pittance I've clawed back from supporting bands and pissing my own money down the drain, then I'll wank Fart off in public.

*Edit* And if someone can let him know, I think selling his own autograph on ebay under his "Maurice Bendrix" ID makes him look like a sad grabbing gobshite, I'd appreciate it!
Squigz
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Posts: 6365 Location: On the Road to the Gravegarden
I saw this on FB earlier on alright, thought there was most likely something more to it. Couldn't have happened at a better point for me though, nice wee reminder for Weslington.
jedifart
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 7987 Location: The Great Pit of Carkoon
Somebody please loan Rich your Rolls Royce!!!
pentagrimes
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2005 Posts: 5543 Location: as far away from you as humanly possible
Warfare Noise wrote:
I remember the lyrics being reminiscent of the feelings I had for the original pink power ranger when I was 9 or 10.

Morrissey fan in "moaning about overly maudlin lyrics" shocker.
Sentinel Records
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger