Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  Noise/outsider music

pentagrimes
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2005 Posts: 5543 Location: as far away from you as humanly possible
Jessica Kenney & Eyvind Kang playing Whelans on 28th May with Bee Mask openeing. Get in.
John17
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
04325613 wrote:
May 6 - Belfast Barge

thats a fuckin great surprise.

This will be seriously good. Been listening to devotional songs in anticipation.

And also came across this, 25 minute set from Innercity a couple of weeks ago in Amsterdam, great great band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCAAkWD9Do
John17
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Daniel Higgs was amazing, as was Woven Skull. Modulator ESP and Innercity coming up fast, this Monday!
seppuku
Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 709 Location: Una selva oscura, Dublin
pentagrimes wrote:
Jessica Kenney & Eyvind Kang playing Whelans on 28th May with Bee Mask openeing. Get in.

This'll be tomorrow - more info at http://www.whelanslive.com/index.php/jessika-kenney-eyvind-kang/

Really surprised there hasn't been a post about the Hunters Moon All Dayer at the The Joinery on Saturday the 8th of June 8 here yet - music by Fern Floor, Sea Dog, Luxury Mollusc and more, along with films, art, stalls and other stuff. Full details and tickets at http://www.thejoinery.org/events/hunters-moon-fundraiser or https://www.facebook.com/events/528367397205655/
St.u
Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
seppuku wrote:

Really surprised there hasn't been a post about Saturday the 8th of June 8

This should be good fun, havent seen sea dog in forever.

This was a really good night;
http://www.metalireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57249&sid=af5c4292c3ba212b70106921361dee00
Totally spaced on bumping it here.
Totally spaced out during it.
There was sax.
dalgalar
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
pentagrimes wrote:

I'm guessing this hasn't sold out yet and it'll be okay paying at the door? Are Bee Mask worth checking out?
pentagrimes
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Aug 2005 Posts: 5543 Location: as far away from you as humanly possible
I dunno, I guess so. The bits of Bee Mask I heard, I've liked.
I can't go this now unfortunately..if anyone makes it report back for me
dalgalar
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Not sure if you made it, so here's a short report. I was originally concerned that it was going to sell out, but I'd say there were about 30 people there in total, if even that. Is Eyvind Kang really that unknown, or was it just poor promotion?

It was the first time I'd heard Bee Mask, but it wasn't really my thing to be honest. He created some underlying layers and loops which sounded great at times, but it was far too busy on top of that with him constantly adding redundant stuff with a kaoss pad or something similar. I couldn't help thinking of that episode of Friends where Ross presents his keyboard music - it really wasn't far off at times. I prefer a "less is more" approach myself.

However, Jessika Kenney and Eyvind Kang were incredible. I'm mostly familiar with his solo albums and contributions to Secret Chiefs 3. I'd heard some of the recent albums of theirs that were released by Stephen O'Malley, but it was much more powerful the other night. They started with Kenney on the balcony with Kang walking around the crowd on viola, and then moved on to the stage. A friend of mine saw them in Holland last week and thought it was a bit too focused on Kenney, but that wasn't the case here as Kang appeared to be leading the show with viola loops. That's not to take away from Kenney at all, and anyone who's more familiar with her appearances with bands such as Asva or Wolves In The Throne Room would have been blown away. The control they both have is really something, the tremolo playing by Kang in particular. I didn't recognise all of the tracks they did, but those that I did included some from Athlantis, Aestuarium, and the Story Of Iceland reworking from the recent Face Of The Earth album.

We were chatting to her for a while afterwards, very sound and down to earth. They said they might be touring again in October, but I'm not sure if they'll be back given the crowd.
pentagrimes
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
shame about the turn out. I had something else on that night I had to attend otherwise I'd have been there, missing that and Mountains in the space of a month was a serious kick in the balls.

Still, Vatican Shadow next Very Happy Very Happy
seppuku
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
pentagrimes wrote:
Vatican Shadow next

Where and when?
pentagrimes
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Twisted Pepper, end of June. Not sure if the date has officially been announced yet but the gig is confirmed.
seppuku
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Cheers, I'll keep an ear out.
dalgalar
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
pentagrimes wrote:
shame about the turn out. I had something else on that night I had to attend otherwise I'd have been there, missing that and Mountains in the space of a month was a serious kick in the balls.

I know that feeling, I missed Voivod, Dylan Carlson and Boris last year - the little man who arrived in Sept saw to that Smile
pentagrimes
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately mine was departure rather than arrival related this time if you know what I mean..
Ravendark
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Sep 2005 Posts: 1091 Location: by the likes of DSO. BAN, too.
Quote:
Still, Vatican Shadow next

very nice.