Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

<  MI Users Confront The Wider World  ~  MI Forums 2013

Snatchgrabber
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Corrupted
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Dead as fuck right enough. I'm getting close to caving in and setting up a Facebook account.
Corrupted
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Hellfest thread would have been a bit more active. Just searched for previous Hellfest threads. Here are the stats:

2010 - 60 pages
2011 - 45 pages
2012 - 26 pages
2013 - 13 pages

Maybe more people from here went during previous years, but the return flight I was on looked fairly full of metal-heads.
Jesus Phish
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Corrupted wrote:
Dead as fuck right enough. I'm getting close to caving in and setting up a Facebook account.

Is that why it's dead here?
Daithi
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Phish wrote:
Corrupted wrote:

Is that why it's dead here?

I would imagine largely. Almost every two minutes a link to a video or a picture or a reference to a particular band or album appears on my FB feed, posted by MI users. Some sink like lead balloons, and even those discussed at depth don't have much of a lifespan, which is the major drawback compared to here, but it's just a much more dynamic format that the fora, for good or ill.
Emphyrio
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it's cos some of the potential "gem" posters get ridiculed right from the off. If people could restrain themselves til they got comfortable on the site they could provide endless hours of entertainment. Admittedly yer wan Davina in the classifieds (title thread "whatever") looking for a stellar bassist for a covers band was too hard to resist and now she'll never be back Crying or Very sad .
wez_wildheart
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I think a part of the reason it's dead is the perceived idea that the forum is 'elitist', 'cliquey' and 'aloof'. At least that's what I have picked up on social media sites from bands the last while. You'll have lurkers who won't sign up because of that.

I am not saying it has to be all sweetness and light, but at times the moderation can be fucking ridiculous, with the amount of wankers that have populated this forum as of the last couple of years.

I know I really shouldn't be playing the man and not the ball, but the OP has a cheek when he doesn't really contribute much than his own form of 'wit', which for the most part is pathetic, then wonders why the forums are dead?

Definitely not as bad as some make it out to be (the non-users), but nowhere near as good as say 2002 etc.
Snatchgrabber
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Trifixion
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Emphyrio wrote:
I think it's cos some of the potential "gem" posters get ridiculed right from the off. If people could restrain themselves til they got comfortable on the site they could provide endless hours of entertainment. Admittedly yer wan Davina in the classifieds (title thread "whatever") looking for a stellar bassist for a covers band was too hard to resist and now she'll never be back Crying or Very sad .

So true. Neutral
H
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jun 2005 Posts: 11061 Location: www.dme-promotions.com.com
It's absolutely incredible how dead it is and it seems to be getting worse and worse too. Combination of Facebook and the place being seen as a haven for utter pricks. If I wasn't posting my shows I would barely ever visit the place myself, I have to say.
wizardinblack
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Nov 2011 Posts: 817 Location: Under a pointy hat.
It's my fault, every time I comment on a thread it's like the kiss off death.

....oop's.
NEPHRIDIUM
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I'm culprit when it comes to the ballbaggery (mostly browse the forums without getting involved usually) but yeah, things have taken a very noticeable dive lately. Facebook is grand for the gig notifications but to be honest most of them I ignore, prefering to come on here and see what the craic is.. What's the MI facebook activity like compared to the site itself?
MULLAN Extraordinaire
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
I think there are still a lot of lurkers. Some topics have high view counts but little or no conversation. So people are definitely still visiting the site, just not commenting. Probably because of the reasons outlined above.
People have personally told me in the past that they would never sign up for this forum due to the intimidating vibe of the place. People getting slaughtered etc.

I do wish Davina would come back, though.
Juggz
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Nov 2011 Posts: 1336 Location: Under A Lesbian Moon
H wrote:
the place being seen as a haven for utter pricks.
This. More than anything else, it's this.
Ariaga 2
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the place being seen as a haven for utter pricks

Laughing

Shocked